Thursday, July 28, 2005

Planning For The Big Day That's Coming?

It really looks quite nice, and I'll bet it would be a lot of fun to go for a ride in this replica of the Morgan family of race cars. I don't know if it would feel like the original, but then, nothing ever does! We live in a world of enhancement. Black and white movies deemed by some to be "classics" become colored films, and music that was recorded 50 years ago is digitally remastered to make it sound and feel better. Everywhere you look we have the new and improved version of everything, and in the midst of upgrading we sometimes go to a lot of effort to make the new look like the old, at least on the outside. Some of the circles I travel in are all about the retro thing, and that's cool, as long as we remember that somethings are great just the way they are, and that is another reason why you and I have to keep our wits about us if we're going to shine the bright light of understanding on the "new" ideas that are attaining some measure of religious acceptance. There is nothing new under the sun, and everything that we are going through today, someone has gone through before us. My personal adventure into the land of technological advances began last October, and continues to this very moment, but I have to admit, even with all of the stuff we've managed to learn, we're still using the same tools to learn it! Our minds are as they have always been, and we as a people are prone to being fooled. There are times when it seems that is what we desire most, to be lied to. Maybe it takes some of the responsibility away from you and me personally when we can say, "I guess I was fooled." This is putting it in simple language, but I do believe that is probably what Adam told God when asked about the apple, and Eve too, for that matter! Now, for the part where it gets really sticky. We just may be raising up a whole generation that is so used to being fooled everywhere they look that they never do find anything that is real and tangible in life. That would be a sad occurrence, indeed, but it may be happening right now where you live. Surely if this, "Living in the virtual world" is out here on the plains of Dakota, it is happening everywhere else in the country and has been for some time. I'm not attempting to put a bone in anyone's ice cream here, I just thought that you might like to know that the kids aren't playing outdoors like they used to, and the number of bicycles on the streets are down every year from what they were previously. I guess that's because you can actually ride one on the video screen and pedal anywhere in the world without leaving the comfort of your couch, or working up a sweat. I know, that's the way it is these days, but I fear where it is taking us. Not for myself, mind you, but for where things are going to be in another 50 years if they continue to change as rapidly as the last 50. I guess I'm just thinking on screen, again. I actually suggested we put together a softball team and challenge one of the other churches to play a game on Sunday. Many thought it might be nice, as long as it did not interfere with the televised sports event they had planned to watch, and then there was the interruption in life for practice. Well, needless to say, everyone agreed it was a "nice" idea and that maybe "someday" we could do "something" like that, maybe a movie together.
God bless, Preacher.

No comments: