Sunday, March 16, 2008

Are We What We Are?


If one has a creative bent, do we create because of "Who we are," or do who we are dictate what we do with our creativity? I don't know, but I have the question in my mind and I do wander(wonder)through the possibilities. In music we create, quite often, on the fly. What happens is what is on the recording and to recreate it could be impossible. In recent years I have met Rod, blind since 'Nam, who plays the guitar in extraordinary ways. What he sees and hears falls far beneath my threshold and yet he creates images musically which are indescribable. Where do we take this? It is similar to a painting which JoAnne might say, "I don't know where it is going, but it is where I want to 'be' today!" For all intents and purposes that is modern jazz. I don't really play it, but I can appreciate the form and content for what they say to me as I listen. Maybe that is part of life that each of us must get close to. We can realize our inner selves! Perhaps it is not immediate or as personal as we might like. But truly possible if sought in sincerity with our heart and mind focused on the end result. For those of us dwelling within the context of the Christian Faith it has to do with being willing to subject ourselves to the "Mind of Christ" attitude and therein becoming that person we would have ourselves be. Too deep and too long these thoughts run this evening. I pray that your days provide you with space to postulate and enjoy the life we have been given. In Christ's Love, Preacher.

No comments: